Setting up sub ID tracking
Many publishers have additional data they'd like to track in their Tiller reports, like campaign names or unique identifiers for visitors, which can be tracked as sub IDs in Report Builder.
Sub IDs are tracked by appending parameters to your URL that populate the appropriate values for your sub IDs. Once you add your sub IDs to Tiller, your sub ID data will begin tracking in your reports.
For example, to track the unique ID of a visitor who views your placement from the URL "http://www.mywebsite.com/awesome-content?utm_campaign=spring_special_content&aff_sub=t1984", you should enter "aff_sub" and "spring_special_content". We'll then track the values "t1984" and "spring_special_content" for you.
Follow the steps below to track sub ID data.
- Make sure your URL is structured correctly to capture data for your sub IDs. If your URL isn't properly formatted, sub ID data may not populate, and Tiller will not be able to collect the data.
- Click the "Home" icon at the top-left of any page to navigate to your Sites page.
- In the "Edit" column, click the gear icon for the site you want to track your sub IDs.
- Click the "Sub IDs" tab. In the fields labeled "Sub ID 1" and "Sub ID 2", enter up to two UTM parameters that pass your sub IDs. For example, to track the unique ID of a visitor who views your placement from the URL http://mysite.com/awesome-content?utm_campaign=spring_special&aff_sub=t1984, you should enter "aff_sub" and "spring_special".
- Click "Save Changes" to start collecting sub ID data.
Where you'll find your sub ID data
Sub ID data is tracked in Report Builder as a dimension filter. To include sub ID data in your report, you'll need to add it as a dimension filter.